The Buzz

The Student Magazine of Savannah Country Day School

The Buzz

The Buzz

Boys Basketball

Boys+Basketball

The 2023-2024 basketball season for the varsity boys was quite a Cinderella story. Going into the regional tournament the boys were the number seven seed. This is the story of how the 7 seed came to rise above all odds and win the Region 3-AAA Championship. On Tuesday, February 13, the regional tournament began. In the first round, the Country Day Hornets were playing the 6 seed Beach Bulldogs, resulting in a 56-52 win for the Hornets. Sophomore, Stone Wells, led the team in scoring with 18 points, shooting 80% from the field. Freshman, Rudy Anderson, was right behind Stone with 17 points. The advancement to the second round of the tournament meant an immediate game the day after the Hornets conquered the 6 seeded Bulldogs. On Wednesday, the boys played Groves High school, beating them 64-51. The #7 seed upset the #3 seed to secure a spot in the semi-finals of the tournament. Seniors, Rob Spaulding and KJ James led the team in scoring with 16 points for Rob and 14 points for KJ.

The finals of the region tournament were held at Johnson High School with the semi-finals on Friday, and the championship on Saturday. The Hornets would face their biggest challenge thus far when playing the #2 seeded Long County Blue Tide that the boys had lost to twice prior in the regular season. This semi-final game was an incredible game to watch as the boys barely secured the win at 56-53 with Rudy Johnson leading the scoring with 25 points. To everyone’s surprise the #7 SCDS Hornets would be facing the #1 seed Johnson High school Atom Smashers at their home court in the Region 3-AAA championship. With a great turnout of Hornet fans, the boys began the game with high energy leading to a standing ovation at the end of the first quarter. The first half concluded with a 20 point lead for Country Day. With Rudy in foul trouble, the team stepped up, senior and captain, Rob Spaulding had 22 points and contributed greatly to the championship win as the lead scorer. William Whitfield secured the win at the end of the game with his free throws as well as Josh Washington having one of his best games scoring 12 points. The Hornets won 60-52, and the 7 seed had officially won it all. In one week, the boys managed to upset the #6 seed, #3 seed, #2 seed, and the #1 seed on their home court. As the state tournament is approaching, some of our Hornets ended the season with admirable personal accomplishments. Freshman, Rudy Anderson, was selected to the GHSA 1st team all region 3-AAA. Senior, Rob Spaulding, was selected to the GHSA 2nd team all region 3-AAA. Sophomore, Stone Wells was selected GHSA Honorable Mention all region 3-AAA. All in all, the basketball season ended on the highest note for these well deserving athletes.