The Buzz

The Student Magazine of Savannah Country Day School

The Buzz

The Buzz

Theater Update

Theater+Update

With the state-winning performance of Peter and the Starcatcher, and the masterful “goodbye” from many senior thespians in the illustrious rendition of Bright Star, both the actors and the directors of Country Day had a lot to live up to. However, the theatrical community did just that with their spectacular performance of Almost Maine on April 5th. But, this was no easy task.

With the odd nature of the play, organized in simultaneously occurring vignettes, written in a conversational vernacular, and meant for a more mature cast, the youthful teens of Country Day had the odds stacked up against them. Combined with this was the relatively short time the cast had to perfect the show, with rehearsals only lasting for a little over a month. However, it was in these moments that director James Venhaus saw an opportunity, allowing students Mollie Macfayden, Carter Herman, Collin Harris, and Selene Zhao to direct multiple scenes, and also allowing sophomore Paxton Towe to write a completely original score for the production. To say the least, Venhaus’ confidence in the students most certainly paid off on opening night, allowing the ensemble to craft a heartfelt narrative of love and the confusion and hardships that come with it.

As for next year, the one-act play competitive piece is still largely unknown, with ideas ranging from The Miracle Worker to even a musical.