The Buzz

The Student Magazine of Savannah Country Day School

The Buzz

The Buzz

Technology and Gaming

Technology and Gaming

The Sims 4

Ah the Sims. Infamous for drowning fake people in pools without exits and for giving you access to a life where money can be infinite and the only limit is your dreams. But how good is it actually?

Gameplay: ⅗

So, the gameplay. The Sims 4 can have your Sims do anything you choose- provided its in the game or you’ve paid for it (and don’t worry, we’ll get to the DLC). In the base game, there is a decent amount of hobbies, also known as skills, for your creations, but they tend to be pretty normal, like writing, programming, painting, and gardening. Sure, there are some funky ones, like Rocket Science and Mischief, but you can also get access to way more by paying money. You can also become an expert builder, and spend most of your time in game creating houses, whether or not you ever live in them. Overall, there’s a decent amount of things to do, but the base game can get boring pretty quickly.

Graphics: ⅗

Overall, graphics are better than previous Sims games, but nothing special when compared to other AAA games. The graphics aren’t overly realistic, and there are also some key things lacking- you can’t even change your Sims height! The graphics fall right in the middle, just like the gameplay.

In-Game Purchases: 0/5

Terrible. Even though the base game is free, to buy every DLC would run you about $1,000. $1,000! Moreover, the fact that some of these are basically essential to experiencing an actual world is beyond annoying. There are four kinds of DLC for the Sims 4: Expansion Packs, Game Packs, Stuff Packs, and Kits. Expansion Packs will run you $40 at full price, $20 on sale; Game Packs are a cool $20, $14 on sale; Stuff Packs are $10, and $7 on sale; with Kits always sitting at $5. So which of these can you definitely live without? Kits and Stuff Packs. Most Stuff Packs add very little to your game, and Kits are only useful if you’re really into building and outfits. Out of the Game Kits, Parenthood is the only one I’d call essential, as it makes having a family, the key unit of the game, more fun, as you can influence how your child Sims will behave as adults. For expansion packs, I’d say Seasons is also crucial, but from there on it’s down to personal preference.

Overall: ⅖ 

While I personally have sunk many hours (and dollars) into this game, I can acknowledge that it’s not really for everyone. Even if you enjoy life simulators, you may find yourself bored by the tedious task of making a build look good, of all the work it takes to care for more than just a couple sims closely, and the often lack of satisfaction you get from caring for your Sims. It takes a lot of willpower to not get tired of the Sims 4 after a few weeks.