The Buzz

The Student Magazine of Savannah Country Day School

The Buzz

The Buzz

Mean Girls the Musical: Ferb and Ian Debate Hub

On January 12, 2024, Mean Girls the musical was released, updating the original cinematic masterpiece starring Lindsey Lohan and Rachael McAdams. This twist of the original adapted the storyline to the twentieth century and the influences of social media. The musical starred Angourie Rice as Cady Heron, and Renee Rapp as Regina George. Many different opinions are circulating around this film as it stayed on track with the original plot but is being displayed through a totally different lens. Ian and I hold different opinions of the film…

Ian: Going into the movie I understood it would not hold up to its predecessor back in 2004, with doing so, I saved a lot of disappointment when seeing it. As a huge fan of the Broadway musical, I knew most of the songs and couldn’t wait to see Renee Rapp’s adaptation of Regina George. While I thought the movie as a whole was cute, it was nowhere near the level or the cultural impact of the 2004 film which people still watch and quote to this day. Renee Rapp was nothing short of incredible, the new ideas she brought to the iconic character came out perfectly and her singing infatuated audiences. By doing this, she frankly made the rest of the cast seem just ok. I give the movie ⅗ stars, and while I agree with Ferb that I would much rather watch the original, I might see this one again just to watch Renee Rapp steal the show. 

Feriby: I was so excited to see this movie, and I think my expectations were a little too high. Renee Rapp is the only reason I stayed for the whole movie. Her take on Regina George was exciting, funny, and impressive along with her powerful singing voice. I also enjoyed the features of actors from the 2004 Mean Girls. All the other acting and most of the songs really just made me cringe and didn’t keep my interest for very long.  I give the movie 1⁄5 stars, and I would definitely much rather just watch the original.