The Buzz

The Student Magazine of Savannah Country Day School

The Buzz

The Buzz

Music Review

The Buzz – Music Review

Reviewing Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)

Speak Now (Taylor’s Version) was released on July 7th, 2023, featuring the original 16 songs from Speak Now (Deluxe Edition), and six tracks “From the Vault”. In case you’re wondering what a track “From the Vault” is, it’s a track that was written for the original album that almost made the official tracklist but was scrapped. You may have heard of artists who have “unreleased” songs which can resurface on social media and become popular and admired by their fans. I love Speak Now as it’s one of Swift’s most personal albums in my opinion. In her Instagram announcement for Speak Now (Taylor’s Version), she even stated that she felt it was “her album”. I recently discovered Speak Now a few months ago in April, and when I listened to the original version featuring the 16 songs, I really enjoyed the album. While listening to Speak Now (Taylor’s Version), I developed a relationship with her song, Back to December (Taylor’s Version), which is now my number one Swift song ever, as I relate to the lyricism featured in the song. I love the passion she conveys in her songs in Speak Now (Taylor’s Version); moreover, I love the songs Mine, Sparks Fly, Back to December, Speak Now, Better than Revenge, Innocent, Long Live, and Superman. Speak Now is the perfect pop album as it features a wide range of different emotions, from the cheerful Sparks Fly to the melancholic Dear John, an iconic classic loved by many Swifties.

Speak Now (Taylor’s Version) also features six “From the Vault” tracks, Electric Touch, When Emma Falls in Love, I Can See You, Castles Crumbling, Foolish One, and Timeless. My personal favorite vault tracks are I Can See You and Castles Crumbling, as the production is spot-on. I Can See You is a playful song of someone who Swift is in love with, and Swift imagining the possibilities of their relationship. Castles Crumbling is a more melancholic song about regret and how Swift let power get to her head, and showing her regrets of running her friends off. As for the other vault tracks, I like Electric Touch and Foolish One, as they are fun listens. Electric Touch ponders through the possibilities of a relationship; whereas, Foolish One ridicules an ex-boyfriend of Swift’s who wants her back even though he broke Swift’s heart. When Emma Falls in Love and Timeless are mediocre, although I do like the perspective in which Swift talks about a character named Emma falling in love and the actions Emma takes when she’s in love with someone.

Overall, I love Speak Now (Taylor’s Version), and I think it was a successful re-record from Swift. I cannot wait to listen to her next three re-records, 1989 (Taylor’s Version), reputation (Taylor’s Version), and Taylor Swift (Taylor’s Version).