Female Athlete of the Issue: Amina Okumu

Ella Stone, Contributor

Amina Okumu has been a leader of Hooker’s army since Freshman year. Always the top goal-scorer and a true competitor on and off the field. Her favorite positions are attacking midfielder and center forward. Amina pumps up the whole soccer team in the weight room and on the field. Amina says she was most excited for this season because she gets to “play with the teammates I love because we have the best team chemistry this year and play well together.” This year has definitely been memorable for Amina the Hyena because it is the one season she can spend with her Freshman sister, Sophia. The sisters have been deadly this year and hope to finish the season strong, assisting each other and fighting for each other. 

Amina’s advice to younger female athletes is “to be confident in everything you do and push yourself to work hard, even if it is different or uncomfortable, and always strive to do your best.” The girl’s varsity team is on a hot streak right now, coming off of 8-1 and 7-0 wins in region play. When asked what is in store for this team, Okumu replies, “region champs, beating St. Vincent’s and Calvary because hornets on top.” While recollecting on her final year of high school soccer, she says how crazy it is that these seniors have been through youth and club soccer together and are now about to say goodbye to the final chapter of their soccer careers. However, the Hyena is suspected to continue her play at the college level, but sources have yet to confirm.