The Buzz

The Student Magazine of Savannah Country Day School

The Buzz

The Buzz

Teacher Interview: Mr. Mitchell

Mr. Mitchell is a first year teacher here at Country Day and teaches English 100. He is 24 years old and just graduated from the University of Elon where he majored in English Literature. He grew up in North Carolina and has always loved reading and talking about books. In college, he fell in love with teaching and worked diligently and persistently, so he could pursue his love of teaching.

He is part of the fellowship program here at Country Day along with Ms. Bethel (History) and Ms. Myers (History). Mr. Mitchell decided to come to SCDS because he was interested in the fellowship program and wanted training before going into a permanent teaching position. Since he is on the fellowship program, he lives close to school and likes how he doesn’t have to wake up early or drive to get to school.

He likes the welcoming and community-centered feeling that Savannah Country Day provides. He loves the community here at Country Day and enjoys all of the guidance that he receives from other teachers. Since his office is located in Minus, he is surrounded by welcoming and helpful teachers and is always prepared to help her out if he needs it, but he is doing an awesome job in his first year teaching! Since it is his first year, he only has two freshman classes. He likes that he only has to worry about two classes because it is less stressful, allows for more time outside of teaching, and allows him to focus on one topic instead of teaching different topics all at once. He enjoys the campus, likes the welcoming environment, and says the students are respectable and kind.

He was one of the assistant coaches on the cross country team and loved the uplifting and supportive atmosphere. He is now an assistant coach on the Lacrosse team and is looking forward to the rest of the season.

Mr. Mitchell is doing a great job teaching this year and is looking forward to the rest of the school year.

Two fun facts about Mr. Mitchell are:

1. He sang in front of 30,000 people
  2. His mom was in a Warners Brothers production