The Buzz

The Student Magazine of Savannah Country Day School

The Buzz

The Buzz

Opinion – New changes!

What’s the Buzz?: New editors? New Topics?

As the 2023–24 school year comes to a close, we are reminded of the exemplary work of our peers and the dedication of the Country Day community filled with writers. Thus far in my career, I have been lucky to work with several great editors, and to our current senior editors, Jessica and Ella, we wish you good luck in your future endeavors and applaud your efforts as they have been exemplary. However, with the commencement of a new senior class comes a pair of new editors-in-chief for the Buzz, and this upcoming year is defined by a superb group of rising seniors. While you, the reader, are used to seeing the polls and reading the Vox Pop, it is important to focus on the dedication that goes into creating these articles. It is the editors behind the scenes who make the Buzz come alive. Along with their careful craftsmanship for every article and an extensive editing process, which results in a cohesive finished project. As you read this edition of the Buzz, which our new editors have started their editing tenure on, and as you finish your final exams and move on into summer—remember that the 2024–2025 Buzz leadership team has and will continue (in the fall term) to produce captivating work. It is through the strong leadership of Ian Rogers and Feriby McCorkle that we, as a student body, have been given an outlet for more intensive journalism. With this new brand of journalism comes elevation. After brief conversations with the new editors, ideas for new topics have been proposed that place a greater emphasis on what the student body is interested in—most aptly the editors will consider discontinuing articles that have become monotonous. In the coming year, our two new editors, who are hopeful to follow a career in journalism after high school, are especially focused on creating a cohesive narrative for the reader and expressing the thoughts of all students on campus. Additionally, with new segments about student life and the true embodiment of our school’s motto, this influence also looks to encourage school spirit. This year has concluded with the symbolic passing of the reins, and so far, our two new editors have been excelling and have been professional in responding to questions and inspiring our young writers. I, as a student and a writer, look forward to seeing what is next, and I hope you, the reader, come to the same conclusion.