Theatre Update

Theatre Update

Laura Taylor, Contributor

The upper school theater department’s final show this spring is a unique production compiled of short plays from a collection entitled “The Good Doctor”. While the comedic plays are written by Neil Simon, it is actually based on the short stories of Russian author, Anton Chekhov. Neil Simon’s contribution to the tales and the narrator, a writer commenting on each play, helped form it into a cohesive show. While the original production utilized just one actor for this role, Mr. Queenan has made a point to assign many additional students to different narrations to allow more student participation and keep the play interesting with various actors throughout the performance. The plays themselves are about a multitude of equally ridiculous subject matters. The story for which the show is named is called “The Dentist,” and it follows a sexton (Daniel Bosch) who visits the dentist for a toothache but instead encounters the dentist’s assistant (Aiden Adjei), who tries, unsuccessfully, to remove the tooth and the Sexton’s pain. Through plays like this, the narrator makes some commentary on what we as humans find funny and why we laugh at certain things. We hope everyone comes out on April 7th and April 8th to support the upper school theater department in this whimsical production.