Lacrosse 2022

Lacrosse 2022

Olivia Wells, Contributor

Lacrosse is one of the most underrated sports here, in south Georgia, only becoming popular in the past few years. Despite this, our Hornet Lacrosse team has put up a solid record so far this season, currently standing at 6-1. Coached by our very own Mr. Barron, this team has won by double-digits in five of their seven games. These Hornet athletes have also crushed two local rivals, Savannah Christian and Calvary, both by over ten goals. Star players include Arden Watson, who averages four goals a game, and Kevin Georgescu, averaging 2.4 assists per game. These star athletes are assisted by many other Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors, all on the Varsity team. The Seniors for the 2022 season include Trey Celaya, Kevin Georgescu, Ian Jones, Justin Gaouette, Karlo Jukic, and James Daters.

When asking Junior Arden Watson how he thinks this team has improved mentally and physically since last year, he responded “This year we have a great group of underclassmen who really care about the sport, as well as strong upperclassmen. We have a team who is committed to building a program for the future, and not just focused on today or tomorrow.” I followed this by asking how he believes this team has put up such a strong record thus far. Arden said, “Our upperclassmen lead with experience on and off the field. Coach Barron and Coach Buhlmann hold high-intensity practices, running one and a half miles before practice and fine-tuning our fundamentals.”

As of now, the team still has Richmond Hill, Lakeside, Beaufort County, BC, and Hilton Head up ahead of them. We wish them the best of luck in the remainder of the season, and Go Hornets!!