Back To Back Region Champions

Catherine Goodman, Editor-In-Chief

On February 12, 2022, the girl’s basketball team won their second consecutive region championship over rival Calvary Day School. The game was highly anticipated among players, coaches and parents. The team’s slogan all season has been “we play for February 12th.”

The team has been devoted to the cause: spending Christmas break in Charlotte dominating fresh opponents, waking up at 5:30am on Friday mornings and eating a turkey sub every single gameday. 

However, the team’s success cannot be simply attributed to diet and determination, but to team chemistry. This group truly is one of a kind, they even eat lunch together! 

For those who didn’t catch it, Saturday’s region championship was riveting. While the Hornets never lost their lead, Calvary didn’t go down without a fight. Grace Wilson locked down star guard Hannah Cail, holding her to her season low. Abby Nicholson and Kat Johnson dominated the boards, not allowing the Cavaliers to sneak back in. Finally, Catherine Goodman hit a clutch three in the final two minutes to clench the victory. 

“I was the happiest i’ve ever been,” said anonymous #11. 

The team will finish the regular season with 21 wins, 4 losses, and of course, another region title. The girls have high hopes for the state tournament and hope to see their fellow students in the stands next week!